2016年1月5日 星期二

Rev. Paul Chang

December 22 . I took the PCV 13 pneumonia vaccination as instructed by doctor, reactioned with chill and 102 fever until 23rd night .  Then my arm began to have redness, warmth and swelling . The redness like a little red guard, trying to sneak over boundary and eventually  going down to the elbow. 12/27 in urgent care and suspected it was an infection during my vaccination. Due to my heart condition, antibiotics applied and they had site follow up daily.  Four days later, I repulsed all these little red guards :))
  
Yesterday (12/31), Rev. Paul Chang form Singapore came together with Mark his son, and grandson Nathan. (and Rev. Paul Lee ). All together four generations. His visit marked an end to my challenging 2015 with a blessed full stop.


I have known Rev. Paul Chang since I was 11. To me, he is my mentor as well as a spiritual father. 3 years ago, he held his 80th birthday party. I took the opportunity to write down some of the blessing and impact he made in my life, I am thankful for his commitment to the Lord thru his loving care to the people around him.


Protecting the weak
I attended the evening session (3-8pm) of Bethel High School for my elementary education, commune by 30 minutes of slow bus ride.  At that time, buses were the only public transportation, and there were too many passengers. It always was a challenging for me to get on the bus. There was a time, I tried very hard, already 3-4 buses came and left, still not able to get on. Hungry and cold and frustrated, there came a strong hand blocking off the adults at my side and brought me up the bus. (Later on I learned he was one of our school teacher and also my neighbor taking the same bus route home). This  was our first encounter , also the first impression I had about him: “Protecting the weak.” Later on, in order to save 1.5cents bus fee, I walked home with one of my classmates. I remember one time, teacher Chang walked with us through the darkest street before we said goodbye. 


In the 80’s, China began to open. I had a few opportunities to team up with Paul to serve in China. Once we were taken away by the China police. They first interrogated him and then me. When they were questioning me half way, the door suddenly banged open. Paul rushed in and was mad with the officers, saying they could not do that to me and insisted they should release me right away. Due to his strong intervention, they released me also the local minister. It was 1:30 am in the midnight. They sent us off to a closed train station. I asked him how he got the guts to scream on the officers. He said he was a US passport holder but I only held an entry permit as a Hong Kong resident. He therefore had the obligations to safeguard us. 

On top of being a school teacher, Pastor Chang was also a  youth group mentor in my Hong Kong home church .  Very often, he would play hide and seek with us. His way of hiding was very special. He would just sit there but disguised himself as someone else, and we would not recognize him in the dark. During Chinese new year, he would invite us to his home, teaching us singing hymns, reciting Bible verses and playing fire crackers. I always went with my younger brother visiting him at CNEC office where also his home. We threw fire crackers from his tiny dormitory room. Ever since, I had a deep impression that Pastor Chang loved kids. 


I learned afterwards this love came from his father, who was the principal of the North China Theological Seminary in Shantung, then the principal of Tai Tung Theological Seminary. In the Sino Japanese war, he sacrificially protected and led over 400 orphans and lepers to take refuge in Guangxi.


Four years ago, when my younger brother was fighting lung cancer, Paul always visited and encouraged him. Very often he would choke in his prayers. All these showed his love and care to those in need.
   

Mission Mobilizer
1959,  Rev. Chang went to US to further his studies in church music and theology, and was sent back to Hong Kong by PI-CNEC  in 1970 as the Vice Field Director. I and Simon, then my boyfriend, were under his leadership.

Conducting Singapore Billy Graham Crusade Choir



The First Mission Conference

In 1972, The CNEC Kowloon Church (now CNEC Fellowship Church) was being planted under Paul's leadership. He, together with Simon , recruiting some high school students to set up a basketball team. They all enjoyed the meal Mrs. Chang prepared after playing ball games. then followed by Bible study . These youths became the very first new believers  and disciples of the church. Today, most of them are still serving the Lord actively. As soon as the church was being planted, Paul started teaching about mission and the faith promise pledge from day one. In 1974, the church had the first mission conference and commissioning, supporting Pastor John Kao and family to Canada . These are the seeds planted by Pastor Chang. 

Mentor of Life

In the 4 years when Pastor Chang was serving in Hong Kong, not only was he active in mission and music ministry, but he also showed his greatest passion of his life: to equip disciples. I have been benefited in this respect. 

As soon as he came to Hong Kong, he referred me to vocal teacher and coaching my singing. 

In 1973, when he went to US to do
fundraising for the ministry, he also brought me along, I observed how he did the preaching, solo, He also coach me how to give testimony, and give me opportunity to do solo and duet with him, how he promoted prayers for China. In the 3 month trip, I saw the Changs refrained from eating in restaurants. Sometimes, we had to stay in Motel 6, we would bring out our rice cooker, a bottle of oil and soya sauce from the trunk. We would cook minced beef in rice, then the beef rice with lettuce would become our most wonderful meal. He always said he would maximize the use of people’s donations onto the ministry. It was sometimes very weary in the 3 months trip. However, he never showed any impatience. He always showed his tenderness towards Mrs. Chang and his two kids, who were then only 7 and 5. He would never miss any opportunity to find me scholarship for my further studies, and under his arrangement, I got an opportunity to stay in SF Cumberland Church as a ministry intern for 3 months. 
      
1989, my family came to the States to establish the PI USA Chinese ministry. I had the opportunity to arrange Rev. Chang to speak in Chinese churches, and very often Paul would bring seminary students from Burma, Thailand and Singapore along with him.  What he had done to develop and equip me, he kept doing it. He always talked about 2.2.2 (2Tim 2:2) and he actually committed his life in doing so. 

 A Spiritual Father
 
When I was 4, my father was caught and sent to Mongolia for “Labor camp” for 24 years. He was released after I got married. Father God showed His care of us through Pastor Paul Chang. Before he went to Singapore to take office of his new position as the Field Director for CNEC SEA , he sent me off to marry Simon in 1974 just a few days prior their leaving. He also officiated my son’s wedding ceremony and is the beloved Grand Pa of our granddaughter.




Pastor Chang is not only my Spiritual Father, but also the Spiritual Father of many children and workers in the ministry.

沒有留言:

張貼留言